top of page

Covering an outer area of 40km2 and a combined population of 2700, the historic Radnorshire towns of Presteigne and Norton are located in Powys which is the largest county in Wales sharing a border with England. The unique collaboration between the local community, Presteigne & Norton Town Council, Powys County Council and Dark Source Lighting Design Studio have led to the first International Dark Sky Community in Wales & Mainland England certified by the Dark Sky International. 

Comprehensive lighting tests were carried out and community feedback was vigorously sought throughout the project as part of the design development. A total of 380 lighting columns were refurbished with 2200K LED luminaires with a large majority employing full cut-off beam. 40% of the lights have been programmed to switch off while the remaining 60% have been pre-set to half their intensity after midnight. In employing such curfew & dimming profiles, light intensity and energy usage are significantly reduced while the longevity of the luminaires is extended. The project has reduced annual CO2 emissions by 4.5 tonnes

Photos: Leigh-Harling Bowen, Toby Townsend at Buzz Drones LTD

Video: BBC News

bottom of page